Logo do druku

Villa Pallas

pl de en ru

Sightseeing


The Warmia Chapter Castle

The castle had been built before the city location from ca. 1348. From 1397 to 1772, it was a seat of a canon-administrator of the chapter properties. Nicolaus Copernicus was the most famous administrator from 1516 to 1521, who was a commander in chief during defence of the castle against invasion of the Tutonic Knights in the 15th century. The castle lost its military significance with time. In 1921, a museum was founded in this place.


The High Gate

It is one of three gates which protected Olsztyn in the 15th century. Only this gate has survived up to nowadays. In 1898, it was reconstructed into a prison and in 1898 it was transferred to a city policy office. In 1863, Wojciech Kętrzyński was detained there. He was accused of arms smuggling for the January Uprising. The gate was restored in 2003.


The Old Town Hall

It was built in the second half of the 15 th century. At the beginning, it consisted in one wing. In 1620, it was burned in a great fire of the city. It was rebuilt few years later and received a new image. It was a seat for the city authorities till 1915. The city hall burned down again in 1945. In 2003 the building was totally restored. Nowadays it serves as a library.


The New Town Hall

It was built in 1912-1915. The investment was located instead of the closed cemetery, in the centre of Górne Przedmieście. It is a seat of the City Council and the Mayor of the City of Olsztyn.


Saint Jacob Cathedral

It is a Gothic church of medieval Olsztyn. It was built in the second half of the 14th century. In 1596, a partly wooden tower was replaced with a new one. A church, which threatened with collapsing, was closed in 1864. Between 1866-68 a restoration was carried out.